Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iszy_elf

New to Forum - Looking for Tips

Iszy_elf
10 years ago

I know it's a snowy January day today, but I just got my Territorial Seeds catalog in, and it has me dreaming already.

I've lived in Brooklyn for 7 years, and have a small back yard with some limited planting spaces (most of the yard is paved). For the first 5 summers, my garden was plentiful, and the past 2 summers, it's been really disappointing. I know in 2012, it just rained too much (completely drowned out my first set of crops) and didn't really ever get very warm/sunny, either; but this last summer was better, but my garden was still struggling.

I'm a transplant and not really used to gardening in this climate, or in such limited space - so I've got a lot of questions.

Basically looking for other gardeners with more experience with small yards.

I grow mostly herbs and vegetables (the herbs tend to all do quite fine, except the mint, which, for the past two years gets eaten down to the roots before I can get a harvest out of it!!).

Am also looking for places where I can go and buy a wider variety of plants that what I've found at the local green markets - would love to find some of the varieties in Territorial locally (or a short car drive). (I ordered from Territorial in 2012, they came later than I would have liked, were exceedingly tiny, a couple were broken/dying, and they all drowned in the excessive rains that spring - I'd like to be able to buy plants a little bit further along than 2-3" seedlings)

Comments (7)

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    10 years ago

I suggest Union square farmers market in the spring and summer...lts the green market and the #1 place in NYC with the greatest variety of plants, particularly culinary and medicinal herbs, fruits and vegies, and ornamental annuals and perienials. This time of year they won't have much but once the weather warms, it's a completely different story! I also suggest Lowes in Brooklyn as their turn over rate on plants and seeds is quite high. The Brooklyn botanical garden is my #1 suggestion for seeds. I would also suggest exploring the little shops of Chinatown. One can often find unusual Asian seeds in the spring. Li zing florist, although very very tiny, is one of my favorites places to shop in the winter. They carry lots of medicinal herbs, citrus, pomegranite, and figs all year round and at very resonable prices. Just be forewarned the place is super tiny but it really is a gem

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    10 years ago

I suggest Union square farmers market in the spring and summer...lts the green market and the #1 place in NYC with the greatest variety of plants, particularly culinary and medicinal herbs, fruits and vegies, and ornamental annuals and perienials. This time of year they won't have much but once the weather warms, it's a completely different story! I also suggest Lowes in Brooklyn as their turn over rate on plants and seeds is quite high. The Brooklyn botanical garden is my #1 suggestion for seeds. I would also suggest exploring the little shops of Chinatown. One can often find unusual Asian seeds in the spring. Li zing florist, although very very tiny, is one of my favorites places to shop in the winter. They carry lots of medicinal herbs, citrus, pomegranite, and figs all year round and at very resonable prices. Just be forewarned the place is super tiny but it really is a gem

• Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    10 years ago

• Elaine Young
    10 years ago

I live in Queens and although I have a decent sized backyard, the front is sunnier. I grow all my veggies in containers in the front and side of my house and have had pretty good luck with that. I can fill the pots with fresh soil and compost each spring and there are less weeds in containers. Peppers seem to be especially happy grown in pots. I also grow eggplants and tomatoes -- determinate varieties do best since the space is limited. Last season I also was able to find cucumber seeds for a variety specifically meant for containers and they did pretty well. Hope this helps.

• Iszy_elf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really? Union Square is the best suggestion? There's one guy there who has a semi-decent selection of herbs, but the vegetable plants there, the options are so restricted/limited and there's almost never any kind of small produce varieties (like grape or cherry tomatoes, let alone smaller japanese style eggplants, and definitely not the mini bells I really want to find!

I was hoping someone would know of a place, even out on Long Island, that might be a proper nursery with a BIG variety, like ghost chilis, miniature bell peppers, a wide assortment of cherry tomatoes, currant tomatoes would be great, too - like the stuff I normally listed in Territorial Seed catalog, or even Burpee. (I've tried ordering from both, but the plants come so late and so tiny - a couple didn't even survive transit, and most didn't survive the spring.)

• Iszy_elf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My ultimate wishlist for this spring - if you've ever seen ANY of these, PLEASE let me know where!!

Broccoli Raab
    Rocky Cucumber (*tiny* 2-3 inch fruits)
    Mexican Sour Gherkin
    Ophelia eggplant (early, egg sized fruit)
    Redbor or Red Russian Kale (these can be seeds)
    Beetberry (strawberry spinach)
    Miniature Bell peppers (red, yellow or chocolate, not picky)
    early jalepenos
    ghost (bhut jolokia) peppers
    Indigo blue berries (cherry tomato)
    Sunchocola cherry tomato
    Baby Boomer cherry tomato
    Italian Ice cherry tomato
    Black Pearl cherry tomato
    Esterina cherry tomato
    chocolate cherry tomato
    currant tomatoes (either red or white)

also debating whether or not to try one of those hanging planter walls on my fence for strawberries (more worried about squirrels :-/ )

• gee_oh_nyc
    10 years ago

It might be too late for this year, but your best bet for specialty/heirloom varieties is to wintersow for yourself.
    The forums here: seed trade/ round robin/ wintersowing have lots of people who trade seeds... very generous and helpful gardenters.