Return to the Metro NY Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers resistant to spider mites?

Posted by doogs (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 3, 06 at 3:26

My garden is a NYC terrace. Spider mites live there. They have lived there for years and I have accepted that I can never get rid of them (I've tried just about everything). They wait all winter for me to plant flowers and then, when the flowers are just big enough, they kill them.

But I've managed to save some, so have learned the hard way that spider mites like some varieties more than others.

Here's my question: Can anyone tell me which flowers spider mites like least? I'm starting all over again (in pots, of course, and with only morning sun on an east exposure) and would like to try something new, but not something that's going to be eaten up by mites.

This past summer two out of four varieties I planted survived. I'd like to do better this time.

I've searched the web but I don't see any list of spider mite resistant flowers----all I've found is that marijuana plants are resistant and I don't intend to plant those!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers resistant to spider mites?

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 14:17

Hmm, maybe somebody can do some fancy gene-splicing from a cannabis to a canna, for mite resistance? ;>)

I'm surprised mites are such a problem in an outdoor setting, how's the air movement on your terrace? My understanding is they like it warm and dry with still air (which is why they're all over my succulent collection sitting in a southern window at my office), so daily hosing down the plants with cold water and perhaps even putting a fan out on them may help, but yeah, they can be really persistent little buggers!

What did you grow last summer? I can't think of anything particularly mite-resistant off the top of my head, but I'll see what I can find!

Jim

o
RE: Flowers resistant to spider mites?

I have the same problem in several apartments that I've had in Texas, so the air-flow thing I think does not help much. I was actually going online trying to find the answer to the same question you're asking.

But I have had some "survivor" plants. These are the plants that have done good so far.

Basil
Coreopsis
Lavendar
Dianthus

Theres some others I don't know the name of. In general, I've found Daisy-like plants seem to do well, while vining plants are the surest to get the mites and perish. Also, drought resistent plants tend to do well since spider mites are attracted by plants under stress.

I just did a little search and found that onions or chives is supposed to repell them. Have not tried this yet.

Which plants have you had luck with?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Homepage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Metro NY Gardening Forum

Instructions

• You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
  • HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
  • No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here