Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellport_gw

Long Island nurseries: please list your favorites!

Bellport
20 years ago

Hello fellow LIers,

Instead of ordering by mail this year, I'd like to buy all of my perennials locally. It would be great to have a thread that I can print out and take along with me - I have major spring shopping to do! So please tell me your favorites here in Long Island, along with name of city.

I'll start:

Cheap Sam's - north service road on LIE near Nichols Rad

Marders - Bridgehampton (nice stuff)

Lowe's/Kmart/Home Depot - anywhere (what can I say? they're cheap!)

Peconic River Herb Farm - can't remember name of town (nice selection)

Bayport Flower House - Bayport

Please list yours too - Thanks!

Angie

Comments (65)

• Bellport
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks again all! I didn't realize there were so many nurseries (good ones) on the island.

Happy Gardening fellow LIers!

Angie

• specialteach
    19 years ago

I am a newbie here and now live in Suffolk. It is good to know all the ones I have not yet been to.

I work at Martin Viette in Brookville, so that one is at the top of my list and a definite recommendation. You don't have to buy, it is just a great place to visit and walk around. It is on 43 acres.

Karen

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Karen, how fun it must be to work at Martin Viette. If I ever get over there, I hope to bump into you to say hello!

Angie

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just went to the Daisy Garden today in Bayport. GREAT prices on BIG plants! I picked up 3 huge balloon flowers, a HUGE centaurea, and some very, very well-priced annuals.

Thanks for that recommendation Lee!

This weekend, off to the Moriches area or Martin Viette/Hick's.

Fun!

Angie

• alicats_garden
    19 years ago

Hello!

Brookville Nurseries, on 25A in Brookville.

Great selection of all types of plants, trees and shrubs, herbs and vegetables.

Wonderful atmosphere - wide open field where the plants live in a natural environment.

Love the ladies & gentleman who run the nursery and care for the plants.

Well worth your time to browse and plant shop.

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, Brookville Nursery is a lovely place. I finally made it out there the other day and picked up some great finds, nice big specimens. I got: Veronica georgia blue (3), Cerastium snow in summer, Campanula persicfolia (3), Thyme, Salvia Marcus (3), Allium globemaster (?) and a couple others, can't remember. I hope to make it there again soon.

Angie

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Just visited Martin Viette and Hicks today. I liked the atmosphere of Martin Viette better than Hicks, but overall, I actually wasn't gaga about either nursery. I'm glad I went, though, just to check them out. I also thought $80 was a bit steep for a clematis (Martin Vietter), which although large, was going for $60 at Marder's (also an expensive nursery), same size.

Marder's is so far still my favorite. I still need to visit all of the ones in the Moriches area.

I forgot to mention that I also really like:

-Lynch's, Southampton
    -East-Something Nursery in Water Mill, on Montauk Hwy

Angie

• jimmil43
    19 years ago

Martin Viette is my favorite, although expensive, they have a great selection of high quality plants. Some years back I purchased a Dogwood from them and I couldn't find one as large and of such quality any where else.

Second on the list is Hicks which can be a little expensive, too. I spend around 500 bucks each year on container plants not to mention on new pots.

Third is Kunz nursery on Route 112 just south of the tracks in Port Jefferson. They have some unusual material and Mr. Kunz is an encyclopedia of information. Just don't get him started on a slow day or you might have to call home to have them hold your dinner. They don't make people like this guy anymore, on Christmas Eve, the day they close for 3 months, I had to pick up a Pointsettia for my daughter and I forgot my wallet at home, he said to pay him in the spring when he reopened!!! This was a $50 plant.

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jim, Mr. Kunz sounds like a great nurseryman, and the line about "holding your dinner" gave me a good chuckle. I look forward to visiting this nursery soon.

The ladies at Brookville Nursery did the same for me. They don't take credit cards and I didn't have cash/check on me. They just offered to open a house account for me and gave me the address to send in my payment. So nice to see people doing business the old fashioned way.

Angie

• tcorrigan
    19 years ago

The Dee's Nursery - Oceanside -- Great selection, good prices.

Hick's Nursery - Westbury -- Better selection, more expensive prices.

Cipriano's - East Meadow -- Quality stuff! Not as big as the previous!

Abby's Parkside -- Wantagh -- the MOST helpful and AVAILABLE staff... Limited selection...

Atlantic Nursery - Freeport....
    Martin Viette - East Norwich...
    Both are the absolute best in terms of quality... MV has an impressive collection of perennials....

Both are expensive... Atlantic can be REDICULOUS ( But, their stuff is the best... and they have a help-desk... bring in an example of a problem... and their guy knows what it is, and tells you how to deal with it (accurately!)

Like lawyers, and doctors... it's a matter of what you can afford...

But overall... The Dee's in Oceanside is my personal favorite!

P.S. Home Depot and Lowe's.... Whatever hodgepodge, they have is cheap.... REEEAAAAAAALLLL cheap...

P.P.S. And it has NEVER BEEN WATERED.....

P.P.P.S. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

• laboopsie
    19 years ago

I would like to invite you all to come out a little farther past Marder's and visit the Bayberry in Amagansett. Just follow montauk highway past bridgehampton and through east hampton and we're on the right before you get to Amagansett. Look for the two stone boars.

We look like we're expensive, but we're not and we have a lot of the same stuff as Marder's but at better prices and our nursery is beautiful. I'm the tree and shrub buyer and it's a wonderful placve to work (but if you think you have a plant problem now try working and a nursery, it's like a drunk becoming a bartender!!!)
    And if you've visit us, you can keep going out to Fort Pond Native plants in montauk and then look for whales and seals or at least keep your eyes peeled for good looking surfer boys and girls.
    paige

Here is a link that might be useful: The bayberry website

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks tcorrigan and Paige!

Tcorrigan, that's a great list, and hopefully I'll hit everyone one of them soon! You're right about some of those plants never getting any water. I rescued 2 foxgloves a couple of weeks ago and luckily they're still alive. Most of my other plants, however, are from the "real" nurseries.

Paige, I forgot about Bayberry's!!! I have been there, and it IS a great nursery. Do you have any linden trees with a nice caliper? Our town planted one on our sidewalk a few weeks ago, and it's a very young tree with a 1.5" - 2" caliper and will probably take about 10 years to look like anything significant. We'd like to replace it with a more mature specimen.

Angie

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

For anyone still reading this list, I'll add one I visited today:

Trimble's - Rte 25, somewhere near Cutchogue. Great stuff!

• luv_roses
    19 years ago

Hitherbrook Nursery on Rte 25A in St. James has a great selection of quality plants & shrubs. The staff is knowlegeable and helpful -- they help me in treating diseases and insects (ask for Joe) and provide the "how to" on growing the plants. It just doesn't pay in the long run to try and grow a plant that has been handled improperly or isn't suitable for our climate - our growing season is toooo short.

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi luv roses, thanks for the recommendation (and welcome to the gardenweb!) I love roses too!

Angie

• bsg1
    19 years ago

Hi Angie & everyone, if you ever decide to check out Hitherbrook, keep heading a little further North/East on 25A to BBGG, it'll be on your left - same side as Hitherbrook. It's my personal favorite especially for trees & bushes. Plan on spending 1/2 the day there - the place is huge! Plus, for an added bonus they have a small farm stand - you can do some of your food shopping while drooling over the plants and they have a ton of roses too.

Enjoy the weekend - its almost here,

Beth

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    19 years ago

It would be worth waiting to go to Hitherbrook until July 10th because they'll be having a 50% off sale. They do it every year the weekend directly after July 4th. It's very crowded, but a lot of fun.

• greenfreak
    19 years ago

Hey tcorrigan, I want to thank you! Because of your last comment: "But overall... The Dee's in Oceanside is my personal favorite!", I took a chance and went there on Saturday... And walked out $100. poorer but with a big smile on my face.

Wowee. What a big place. That stock is so much better than Atlantic nursery. Every time I walked down another aisle there were more and more things I was surprised to see.

Thanks for the advice. I think I found my new nursery. :)

• anitabryk2
    19 years ago

If you can get there earlier in the season - THE BLOOMIN HAUS in Holtsville. Once they sell out, that's it, but what a selection until they do!!!
    http://www.bloominhaus.com

My other favorites have already been mentioned, so I won't be redundant.

• jannie
    19 years ago

Last Tuesday I went to the Franks in Smithtown Route 347, corner of Terry Road. They had lots of sale items, stuff for 97 cents and $1.97. Best of all were hostas and ferns six for $5.00 on plants marked $6.99 originally. I got lots of plants for a total of under $16. Picked up a cubic foot bag of potting soil too. Nothing fancy, but everything was still in good condition. A couple years ago I went in late August,everything was dried out and dying. Got poppies 3 for a dollar that I nursed back to health. You never know what they'll have on sale. Around Mothers Day everything was brand new and expensive.

• khloris
    19 years ago

There is another little place in Bayport called Denise's Country Greenery. It's off Snedecor Avenue which runs south of Montauk Highway, about a mile (or less) west of the intersection of Montauk Hwy and Nicholls Road.

I was looking for Daisy Gardens but couldn't find it.. maybe I was on the wrong Gillette Avenue? Is Daisy Gardens closer to Nicholls Road or closer to Sayville? (I'm going to Sayville next week to get my hair trimmed, so I'd love to find out where Daisy Gardens is before then! :-))

• Bellport
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey everyone, I haven't been keeping track of the thread too closely since I've since "defected" to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum, where I have continued this thread. Hope to see you there.
    Angie

• Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening
    19 years ago

Daisy Garden is closer to Nichols Road. Go south on Nichols Road to the end. Turn left onto Gillette Avenue-over the RR tracks and then a left into the nursery. It is in Bayport. Have fun!

• Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening
    19 years ago

Oops! Forgot one turn! Daisy Garden is closer to Nichols Road in Bayport. Go south on Nichols Road to the end. Turn right onto Montauk Highway. Turn left onto Gillette Avenue-over the RR tracks and then a left into the nursery. Have fun!

• Amethyst
    19 years ago

Not a nursery per say, but I have bought herbs & vegetable plants from The Green Thumb in Watermill, and been very pleased. For me, the other upside is the are organic!

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    19 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this board, so I will list my favorites:
    1) Hicks Nursery in Westbury, besides their devotion to organic gardening, they have a wide selection of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals moderately priced. Their information booth doubles as a diagnostic counter and soil test area. They hold talks in a special media room several times a year on various topics.
    2) Martin Viette Nursery in East Norwich. Pricey but wide selection of trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals. If they plant your shrub/tree selection they guarantee it for 2 years. If you plant it they guarantee for 1 year. They also have speakers on various topics throughout the year.
    3) Dodds and Eder in Oyster Bay. Though smaller than MV, it has trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals for less cost. Friendly staff there too.
    4) Mohlenhoff's in Huntington. A small nursery with great perennials, shrubs and annuals. They also sell at the proper time of year ladybugs and mantis egg cases.
    5) The big box stores ( Lowes and Home Depot). If you know what you want and they have it, it will be for less money spent at the other nurseries mentioned. Yes, you get what you pay for.
    6) Frank's Nursery in Levittown and Huntington. Alas it has declared bankruptcy! This place was great for locating perennials, herbs, annuals and roses for cheap prices. A step above the big box stores but worth it if you knew what you wanted. Since declaring bankruptcy, I found 3 'Custard Candy' daylilies at their Levittown store at 3 for $5.99 each.

• angelundrground
    19 years ago

Can anyone recommend nurseries near the Nassau/Suffolk border? I'm in Bethpage, It's right in the center of the Island.

Anplace besides Franks,Lowes,Home Depot,Kmart, and Hicks.
    Good prices and hopefully has a good selection of everything including herbs? Organic is a plus!!

Thanks

19 years ago

Ciprianos is one nursery near you in East Meadow. There is a small nursery on Brush Hollow Road in Westbury. Zaino's I think is the name. There is also a small nursery on Jericho Turnpike before Hicks Nursery if you are coming east from Mineola. This nursery is on the same side of Hicks but is seen after you cross over Glen Cove Road.

• jannie
    19 years ago

Last weekend, Hicks held a winter festival, with hot chocolate, cooking and gardening demonstrations,etc. Did anyone attend?

19 years ago

Didn't attend that nursery, but was at Martin Viette for their lecture on Hydrangeas for Long Island. Got a lot of information there.

• jackaroo26
    18 years ago

I like White Post Farms on Old Country Road in Melville. They have a nice selection of annuals and the staff was very helpful (but I don't think their perennial, shrub and tree selections were so extensive).

• flowerpower12
    18 years ago

I have been shopping at the Bloomin Haus Nursery in Holtsville for years now and I find that there is no other place like it, with such a huge selection and reasonable prices. Beautiful waterfalls and a free petting zoo!I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.bloominhaus.com

• JKSsam
    18 years ago

the long island perennial farm is by far my wifes favorite

18 years ago

For those in the Huntington area, alas Mohlenhoffs is out of business for some reason! I drove by during Valentine's Day week and the gates to the lot were closed. By the time spring rolled around, again the gates remained closed. Another good nursery bites the dust!

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

I just visited LI (Hamptons area) and went nursery shopping everyday, mostly for perennials. I thought Marders was pricey but had the best selection and I bought a few perennials. Fort Pond Native Plant Nursery in Montauk also had interesting perennials. LI Perennial farm had great prices and a decent selection-so I picked up quite a few plants. Peconic River Herb Farm near Riverhead was a beautiful place to walk around and had a nice selection of plants. Many of the other nurseries in the area didn't have anything unusual and the majority didn't have much of a selection of perennials at all-mostly trees and shrubs.

• monarda_gw
    18 years ago

Don't forget Roslyn Nursery 211 Burrs Lane, Dix Hills, New York 11746. They specialize in rhododendrons but have lots of other choice things.

• seawind
    18 years ago

Well...it's spring again! Great thread. Verderbers Garden Center in Aquebogue is excellent. They have a very nice stock of just about everything and the plants are very healthy and the pricing is pretty competitive. They have a nice selection of ornamentals as well.

• davemac828
    18 years ago

Has anyone mentioned Woodlea on Barnes Rd. in Moriches? Good selection, lower prices than most retailers. Bisset in Holtsville is another good one, though you'll need to go with a landscaper who has an account there as they only sell wholesale (the same for that new place up on Horseblock Rd. in Medford opposite the Brookhaven Town landfill, whose name escapes me at the moment). And for anything in the Rhodo/Azalea family, it can only be Roslyn Nursery in Dix Hills...I didn't think their selection of other stuff was that great, but they're the undisputed masters of Rhodies..every variety in the world, and then some! Bloomin' Haus in Holtsville is fun, but for a real treat...as much an arboretum/park/nature walk as it is a retailer...take a ride out to Bayberry in Amagansett. Acres and acres of beauty...just a wonderful place to see.

• patham_cox_net
    17 years ago

I'm a Rhode Islander, not Long Islander (though believe me Midwesterners think they are one and the same). I'll be going to a rose show in Oyster Bay again this weekend. We ran into a huge nursery nearby that had dozens to hundreds of varieties of roses, including many old garden roses. Know the name and/or road?

Patsy

• cranfordrd
    17 years ago

It is Brookville Nersery on 25A about 2 miles West of Martin Viette. FABULOUS place!!! I got a beautiful rose, wish I had room for more.

• chrissyk1963
    17 years ago

THIS IS A LIST OF THE BEST NURSERIES ON LONG ISLAND.

VerDerBer's - Route 25 Aquebogue
    Bayport Flower House - 940 Montauk Hwy. Bayport
    Daisy Garden - Gillette Avenue Bayport
    Marders - Snake Hollow Road Bridgehampton
    Peconic River Herb Farm - 2749 River Rd. Calverton
    Growers Outlet - Barnes Road Center Moriches
    The Garden Spot - Railroad Avenue Center Moriches
    Holly's - Montauk Highway East Moriches
    Hulse's Garden Shed - (behind Sea Cove) East Moriches
    Stables - Montauk Highway East Moriches
    Cheap Sam's - Farmingville
    Bissett - 323 Long Island Avenue Holtsville
    Bloomin Haus - 816 Waverly Avenue Holtsville
    Porter's Colorful Gardens - Rte 25 Jamesport
    Wheatley Farms - Dayton Ave Manorville
    Glover Perennial Growers - 1160 Mill Rd. Mattituck
    Landscape Adventure - Sound Ave Mattituck
    Long Island Perennial Farm - Reeves Ave Riverhead
    Talmage Farm - 2975 Sound Avenue Riverhead
    Hitherbrook Nursery - 559 Route 25A St. James

• whitelavender
    17 years ago

Can anyone tell me the names and locations of the lavender farms on Eastern Long Island. Thank you.

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

BUMP

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

I'm new here, but I found this Lavender farm in a previous search if you're still looking... Haven't been there yet myself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavender Farm

• jannie
    16 years ago

Chrissyk, that is some list! I've been to a lot of them. Have you visited all of them?

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

So sad that Hicksville Agway no longer exhists. I used to go there for more than 30 years and I thought it would always be there but not so.

• GreenThumb90
    12 years ago

I like Father Natures in Islip

• PurpleLotus88
    10 years ago

Westminister Nursery on Westminster Rd. in West Hempstead. They have lots of herbs, veggies, and a large collection of peppers every year. Most of their herbs are from Gilberties, which I find hardier than where other places source their transplants and seedlings (bought some from Hicks that didn't seem as hardy or large). It's open later hours during the growing season and they have half off sales once or twice a year.

Hick's I'll only visit if I can't get it at Westminster. It's just okay. They seem to have not that much of selection of growing medium for orchids and the more exotic plants, definitely less than some years ago which is disappointing. They do half off on their veg and herbs in the summer but it just comes to nearly the same price at Westminster anyway.

For more exotic veg and herbs, I have picked up Tulsi plant seedlings in Bellerose/Glen Oaks on Hillside Avenue at the small grocery stores. I saw small pots of Curry plants at the Maharaja supermarket near the corner of Hillside Avenue and New Hyde Park Rd. in New Hyde Park.

Very rarely I will stop by the farm in Malverne to check out what they have. All the herbs and veg there are organic and most of them are grown in coconut coir. Nothing too unusual and the prices are higher there but I did pick up some nice lemon thyme.

In the same vein, I sometimes stop by the Queens County Farm and see what they have for sale in their greenhouse, I picked up some regular English thyme there.

I've had the most horrible customer experiences at the Walmart in Westbury, I will never return there (although I did pick up a terribly abused orchid from the clearance section for about $7). The Lowe's in Garden City is nothing special, they carry mostly "Bonnie" herbs and plants and they are pricer than Westminster's herb flats and don't look that hardy.

This post was edited by PurpleLotus88 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 17:50

• DirtandYarn
    10 years ago

The Hick's Spring Flower and Garden show will be coming soon. I can't wait.

• hellonasty
    9 years ago

GARDEN WORLD on Franklin Ave. in Franklin Square.

Atlantic Nursery & Garden Shop: 250 Atlantic Ave
    Freeport, NY

Dee's Nursery and Florist Inc : 69 Atlantic Ave. Oceanside, New York

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022