Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Get togethers

irish_rose_grower
18 years ago

Hi everyone. Here is the schedule I came up with.

I know there is at least one event I won't be able to make it to because I have a baby's Christening. But I'm sure with everyone's schedule it's impossible for everyone to make it to all the events.

1. Saturday May 14 - Bayard Cutting Arboretum

They have a plant sale that day and we can also have lunch or The Victorian Tea they offer. If anyone is interested in the Victorian Tea they offer please let me know and if enough are interested I will get the price and make reservations.

2. Saturday May 27 - get together at Sylvia's house from

11-2. You can email her directly for directions.

3. Saturday June 10 - Brooklyn Botanical Gardens - open from 10:00 - 4:30. Fee is 5.00, website states free admission from 10-12. (hope I read it correctly)

4. Saturday June 24 - New York Botanical Gardens - open from 10:00-6:00 (admission is 13.00)

5. Saturday July 8 - Peconic River Herb Farm - open 9:00=4:00. Pack a lunch, they encourage people to bring lunch and enjoy it by the River. I don't think there are any tables--I'll bring a blanket to sit on.

6. Saturday, July 22 - Planting Fields Arboretum - open 9:00-5:00 - I only see a fee for admission into the Coe Hall House Museum which is 5.00. Parking is 6.00.

As the time gets nearer to these events I will list the time we will meet.

As I get dates from people who offer their house/yard for get togethers, I will add them to the list.

If anyone would like to add anything to the list, please do so.

I look forward to seeing you all again.

have a good night

Maureen

Comments (43)

• barbaral
    18 years ago

Yes, very interested in joining your group on May 14th at Bayard. The Tea would be fun as well. I'm not available on 6/10 or 6/24 but I would like to be kept on your list.

I've been trying to hook up with a local Garden Club. At the Hofstra flower show, I signed up to be contacted by a mid-island club. I also contacted the NYS Federated Garden Clubs on-line and expressed interest. So far, zippo.

After I retired 5 years ago, I had my propety re-landscaped and since then have become a gardening 'nut'. I just wish I had started sooner. There is so much I don't know.

Barbara

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Barbara. that's great that you can join us at Bayard Cutting. I've been there one time and fell in love with that mansion! And the grounds.

Maureen

• MarciL
    18 years ago

Will be there and if enough why not have the tea. Oh I believe you meant the date to be Sat 05/13. Barbaral, welcome to the group. Please email me with your email mailing address, name, town location and phone number so I can add the information to the list I am attempting to keep. Still waiting for feedback from some see my post on 04/22.

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI Marci, thanks for the correction. The correct date for Bayard Cutting is Saturday, May 13.

Ok, so far 3 for the tea. I'm going to call them and inquire about price/reservations.

Thanks for keeping the list Marci.

Maureen

• missspoiled25
    18 years ago

Hi Ladies,

Count me in for the tea too...

Marci, I emailed you in response to your 4/22 post.

Millie

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Barbara, it's here. Sometimes the threads go into "limbo" for a little while (maybe when someone else is typing a response to it??) but it's back and we would love to see you. Just make sure you note that the correct date is Saturday, May 13. (not the 14th)

HI Millie. So glad you are going too. I will bring both the New Dawn cuttings and the plumeria seeds that day.

anyone else joining us?

Have a great night everyone

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I called this morning, and they are booked for the Victorian Tea that day (they have a private party) but they said we can have lunch there in the cafe. They do not take reservations so we can just go in and have lunch from their regular menu.

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I called this morning, and they are booked for the Victorian Tea that day (they have a private party) but they said we can have lunch there in the cafe. They do not take reservations so we can just go in and have lunch from their regular menu.

• missspoiled25
    18 years ago

sounds great!

• bee_li
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

oops, I haven't visisted the garden web in a while and almost missed our next meeting .... I'll be at the Bayard Cutting Arboretum on 5/13.
    See you there, Bee

• bee_li
    18 years ago

I should have checked my calender first. Unfortunately I am not here on May 13. I hope to see you guys at Sylvia's house later this months. Have a great time, Bee

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI Bee. Too bad you can't make it. HOpefully we will see you again at Sylvia's.

Maureen

• greenfreak
    18 years ago

Hey everyone,

Nice to see the plans are still going.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the 13th (menu tasting for wedding), the 27th (godson's birthday), or the 10th (wedding is the next day)!

But I'd love to join the NYBG trip on June 24th. My membership will be expired by then but I have an extra 2 parking passes so you park for free (it's usually $10.) I'd just suggest carpooling if possible. I'd be happy to take three people in my car if we could meet in Merrick or Wantagh, maybe in the train station parking lot.

I'm afraid I won't be around much till then, the wedding plans are starting to keep me real busy. I hope everyone has a great time!

Trish

• sanddny
    18 years ago

Oh Sugar!!

Haven't checked this thread in a while... what time is the Bayard Cutting meeting going on!!?? I definitely want to go, but may have to cut it short as there is a BBq for a friend who just returned from Iraq... Can someone post the time.

• MarciL
    18 years ago

Syl it has not been decided to my knowledge. See the thread titled post an into before we meet. Looks like MissSpoiled25,myself, irish rose grower said yes also but have not seen any follow up from her on here or the other thread. Today is Wed we need a definate time and place to meet soon. There is a dunkin donut shop at 15 W Main Street aka Montauk Highway E Islip. I will post this information on the other thread and see who responds how about 10:30 meeting time?

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI everyone. Sorry I haven't been around. My dh has been out of state and my son is sick - plus all he#$ has been breaking out at the office.

Thanks Marci for helping to coordinate the time and place. 10:30 sounds good to me at that dunkin donuts. If anyone wants to meet me at my house in Lindenhurst, we can hop in my car and head to the Dunkin donuts in E. Islip.

Maureen

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Trish. I overlooked your message. Sounds like you are a busy lady with all of the events going on. How are the wedding plans coming along? And the most important part, can you tell us about your wedding gown?? Any pics we can see? Look forward to seeing you at the BBG.

Maureen

• missspoiled25
    18 years ago

Morning Ladies!

The forecast calls for rain/showers all weekend.
    Are there any back up plans in the event of rain?

Millie

• barbaral
    18 years ago

Maureen and I agreed we're going, rain or shine. A monsoon, however, may cause us to re-think. Maybe if the weather is really rotten nobody else will show up and we'll get some really good deals at the plant sale.

• missspoiled25
    18 years ago

Now we're talking! I just didn't want
    to make that long ass drive and no one
    shows up @ DD! LOL

Millie

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mille, as Barbara said, we will be there unless it is a monsoon. I figure, if it's raining, we can still have a nice lunch in their cafe. And I love the mansion!

Maureen

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have extra iris -- anyone want some? I have a mixture of purples, historic yellow, white, and possibly a few other colors mixed in.

Maureen

• MarciL
    18 years ago

Maureen Sure I can find a spot for some.
    Marci

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI Marci. I'll bring some for you tomorrow. See you at DD.

Maureen

• sanddny
    18 years ago

Shux!!

Sorry, I'm going to have to pass on today's outing!!! Just found out the furniture we ordered is in two weeks early and so now we're scrambling to paint the room before it arrives. Have fun and take lots of pics. and I'll see ya'll in two weeks.

sandd916@yahoo.com for directions!

Syl

• jannie
    18 years ago

Sorry, I won't be there, have a doctor appt at exactly 10:30 myself.

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sylvia - we had a great time on Saturday, I think you would have liked it too. I hope to be at your house Saturday, have to find out if we will be here on Memorial day weekend -- we may be in New Jersey. If were home, I'll be there.

Jannie - sorry you couldn't make it. We had a really nice time. Hope your feeling ok.

Maureen

• long_island_rose
    18 years ago

Wow, you all have been busy! If you're into traveling out east, the local garden club is hosting a big early bird plant sale on May 27, Main Road, Southold, 8:30-12:30.

LIR

• missspoiled25
    18 years ago

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, I wanna go I wanna go!!

Anyone else interested?

Millie

• Lynn Nevins
    18 years ago

Hi all. I had been corresponding with Maureen, and had indicated that I'd like to arrange an event so that everybody could come visit my little urban garden in Manhattan. (I think I may have also mentioned it previously once on these same boards.) In any case, I wanted to see who might be interested in coming to my place on June 17 at 12:00p. For those of you with allergies, please note that I have two cats! :--)

As an added incentive, I am also hoping I can unload some bird feeders at the same time, for any of you bird lovers out there. Over the years, as I've gotten more into the birding thing, I've tried a number of feeders. Some of them just never worked out, in some cases because the feeders weren't appropriate for the types of birds in my immediate area; not being one to just throw things out, I'd like to recycle them if at all possible.

I'm not sure what kind of an rsvp rate past events have gotten, but my place could probably accommodate 6-8 people. Anything beyond that, it might feel a bit crowded. Do folks rsvp right here in the thread? Is there an email/list to which I could send an official invite to in order to receive rsvps? Is a first-come first-serve policy the norm? Note that I will also be extending an invite to a particular woman I've been corresponding with on another board on this site... she also lives in Manhattan.

Closer to the date I will send out my exact address and directions (I assume all of you would drive) to my place. There is often a parking space or two available in front of my apartment, and there is also a parking garage across the street. I've no idea of the hourly rates, but would assume it's very cheap as compared to the more downtown garages (I live way up in Harlem).

After my place, some of you might be interested in checking out some gardening centers in Manhattan just for the heck of it. I've never been to Dimitri's in Spanish Harlem, but understand it's quite "large". There's also the flower district in Chelsea, which is essentially an entire street of mainly indoor flower/plant vendors. Chelsea Garden Center sells primarily outdoor plants, and is probably the most upscale of the aforementioned places (and the most expensive!). They have really beautiful trees, shrubs and plants for sale, as well as some nice urns, fountains, etc.

Thanks!

Lynn/yippee1999

• Lynn Nevins
    18 years ago

Sorry guys. I'd forgotten that I'd also offered June 17 as a date to visit a friend. They just confirmed that date.

So... the new date for a visit to my little patio will be July 15.

Thanks!

• Lynn Nevins
    18 years ago

by the way, if anyone is interested in coming by on their own beforehand (anytime between now and July 15) to take some of my bird feeders let me know. i really want to get rid of them to free up some space! Thanks.

• MarciL
    18 years ago

yippee1999 I sent you an email please let me know if you recieved it.

• aspiring
    18 years ago

Bet the Bayard was a blast! :) Did anyone take pics :)?

just as well yippee I have a wedding on the 17th..... I like the sound of that nursery in S. Harlem.

• irish_rose_grower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm going to check my calendar in a little bit to see if July 17 is free. I would love to come see your garden in the city. You are very generous to offer your place for us to visit Lynn. Has Marci sent you the list of our email addresses? Let me know if you need it. 4 of us made it to the Bayard cutting arboretum. I don't expect more than maximum 8 people to rsvp as "yes" to come to you. I will probably be much less. But I hope to be one of them:-) And I love birds and could take one of those feeders off your hands.

Millie - I don't know if I can make it to Sylvia's house next Saturday. If I'm not in NJ for the weekend, I will see if I can get a sitter for a few hours. Don't think I will have enough time for Sylvia's and the plant sale.I'll have to skip the plant sale. Millie, your not doing to believe this -- my sage does NOT smell like pineapple. Remember I had 2 and put one down, well the one I kept has NO scent at all. I am so bummed!! I don't even know what it is, it has no name tag on it. But it looks just like the pineapple sage plant. And I lost the tuberose. Not sure where I put it. When I find it, what are the planting instructions for a container? Any idea?

Aspiring - the Bayard was great. It was me, Millie, Marci and Barbara. You guys haven't met Barbara yet because she was not at the coffee shop when we first met. She is a super nice lady -- Hi Barbara :-) They had a plant sale -- the plants were great and the prices were right! I got a black-eyed susan vine, a NOT pineapple sage :-(, agastache tutti-frutti, a lemon scented geranium (smells just like lemon pledge) and cukecumber plants. Then we had a delicious lunch - quiche and a salad plus a piece of homemade apricot rum cake and tea for 11.00. The cake was out of this world. Then we walked around the property and the sun was out finally. It was a great day. I really had a good time. Oh, and I can't forget the great gift shop they had. Really nice things and inexpensive.

So who is going to Sylvia's next Saturday?

Have a good night all
    Maureen

• sanddny
    18 years ago

Hi All!!

Hi all, Hope you guys can make it on the 27th!! Must warn you all about the golfballs, they are flying high this time of year!! Just had one hit the house so hard it chipped the siding!! Oh yes!!! We're going to have to nip this in the bud right away!! But until then, bring your helmets!!! :)

Have a great weekend and enjoy the weather while it holds!! I hear more rain is comin' our way!

Syl

P.S.- Barbara,
    I tried to send directions, but it bounced back, is your mailbox full? The error message eluded that it may be something like that.

• missspoiled25
    18 years ago

Hey girls!

aspiring- can u believe I brought my camera but left it in my car (which stayed at Maureen's house since she was kind enough to drive)!! I was so bummed, it's a beautiful place...

Lynn- It's very nice of you to invite us! I'm glad you joined us. I'd love to take a bird feeder off your hands :)

Maureen- Believe it or not, the tuberose didn't come with any info what so ever! I think I planted it about 4 inches deep lying sideways as opposed to planting it up & down, that way whichever end is the top will find it's way up at some point, and I've got green peeking out on 4 of the 6 I've planted, which is exciting.

Syl- I'd like directions also, you can email me at MissSpoiled24@optonline.net please.

Barbara- It was very nice to meet you, thanks for joining us!

I hope to see everyone else soon!

Millie

• MarciL
    18 years ago

Syl, Did you get my email asking for address and directions?
    Barb and I are trying to work out coming together but we do need to know where we are going.

• aspiring
    18 years ago

awww no pics :(

I saw a feature of the NY botanic. this week. that place is gorgeous (SP?) also we simply must visit the gardens at farmingdale university.

june 27th my little preemie is one :) but Im doing a little something for him on the 24th so, im sorry I cant come that day :(

see ya'll soon.

• better2boutside
    18 years ago

Hi everyone.

Glad to hear the trip to the Bayard was a sucess... I know I havent been around much. I have soooooo much going on. We have been trying to get our roof replaced for the last two weeks... it keeps raining on those days. We also have been hard at work developing our new 65' back yard beds so that I can plant them this year. Nothing more wasteful that a turned bed that is not ready to plant. As soon as the roof is done, we are going to have several yards of soil delivered to build up the height, then I will be good to go! Cant wait.

I was really looking forward to seeing you all at Syliva's, but we have a family gathering. Terribly disappointed, but what are you gonna do.

I am planning on making it to the Brooklyn Botanical trip and hope to see you all then.

--Candace

• Lynn Nevins
    17 years ago

Hi all. Regarding the Peconic Herb Farm event that I wanted to attend, I'm not sure what timeframe everybody was considering. But I wanted to let you know that I will probably have to meet you there on my own, and then leave on my own. Since I'm coming from Manhattan, there is essentially only one train to get me there and back. I will get into the Riverhead station (closest station to the Herb Farm) at 11:23a, and will then have to catch the 1:56p train back. So that'll allow me a little under 2 hours to spend at the farm. Hopefully it'll all be worth it! :--)

• greenfreak
    17 years ago

I don't know if interest has waned on the get togethers or if it's all happening in another thread or through email...

But now that I'm a married woman and my schedule just got really really open, I'd love to make a few get togethers.

Anyone planning on going to the NYBG this Saturday the 24th? The weather doesn't look so hot for the end of this week into the weekend.

I'm definitely going this summer, the first good Saturday I can get. So if the garden club is now defunct but someone wants to join me, feel free to email me: greenfreak1@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

• MarciL
    17 years ago

Ready, willings and able here for any trip you want to make. Found it hard to keep group together without correct email addresses.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County